Tuesday 21 October 2008

Owl light

We have just heard an owl, at 6.30pm; it is starting to get dark.

Last night, as I was locking up, I stepped outside for the last of the day. It had turned cold so I closed up the greenhouse. All I could hear were owls; a pair calling across the valley and another one in the woods on the hill behind me. A dark evening, cold, the air scented with woodsmoke and the songs of owls.

It is all about little moments and being aware of happiness; a moment this morning on the front step, I looked up into a cold clear sky at a half-moon and a high flock of small white birds, which looked silver against the pale blue; a susurration, and they were gone.

The courtyard is full of ash leaves and the grass is covered in beech leaves; I will take a picture tomorrow, before all the leaves have gone. A windy day, cold and clear, made us realise how infrequently it really blows here.

No comments: