Tuesday 2 September 2008

The Turning of the Leaves

Is it my imagination or is it cooler this morning? Perhaps I assume September's sunlight to be cooling and not as thickly golden. A back-to-school light, dusty and tired. I have noticed patches of acid-yellow in chestnut and beech trees for the last fortnight or so. This seems an early turning to me, but I also remember a tree in Princes Park in Liverpool which seemed to turn and start losing its leaves at least a fortnight or three weeks before others in the same avenue. I came to the conclusion that it was in a frost pocket, more exposed to darkness and sharp drops in temperature than the others, so in effect for that one tree the season was a few days advanced. Was this true of all the seasons?

I have also seen rowan trees heavily laden with red berries, which traditionally was a sign of a harsh winter to come. And in the garden the giant beech tree - possibly as old as the house, about 250 years - has a small patch of fading on its eastern branches; not a turning yet, it looks more as though the enthusiasm has left the greenery, as if the tree is starting to lose the energy or will to stay summer-green. Justine commented that it began its turning at the same point last year, a sign that we have seen a year come and go in this valley.

I will try and bring more image into this Journal, so I will try and document this one tree's turning and perhaps some general views of the valley, say once a week.

No comments: